Thursday, January 9, 2014

Warm Water and Cheese Shortages

So my morning started off much like the other mornings this week. Which is to say, ugly. After rolling out of bed, I fixed breakfast and packed lunches. And then I hopped in my normally scorching shower to a warm splash of water. This happened to be personal hygiene day; I sudsed up my hair with shampoo and began the shaving task while my dry to moisture shampoo worked it's way through my strands. That's when there was no more warm water. Not a drop. I'm really glad this occurred post my committment to shampooing, condition, and shaving--tasks that nearly triple my under the water time.

From there, I realized I was running late for work, so the breakfast I prepped had to be packed up and taken to the office... where I would munch in front of my computer screen. Such a healthy habit.

This is approximately the time my Microsoft Outlook stopped working and I began to peruse the day's headlines, where I learn of an impending Velveeta shortage. Well, this sent me reeling. I have a soft spot in my heart for Velveeta for two specific reasons: 1) The foundation of my mom's famous queso lies in Velveeta. I'm not sure what the shortage means for the parties of the future. And 2) As a Peace Corps Volunteer in Lesotho, I received care packages that often included a block of Velveeta. And with this soft and smooth, overly processed "cheese" I would build quesadillas on homemade, buttery tortillas. Then, of course, I would eat and eat and eat as though I had never experienced fine cuisine before. For all the currently serving PCVs, my sincerest condolences. Your life is about to get tough--be warned.

What kind of fresh hell is this, 2014? 

No comments:

Post a Comment