Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Waffle House Win Streak

As soon as Turner Field added a Waffle House concession, the Atlanta Braves rallied behind the largest win streak in the Majors this season--the team "on paper" truly showed up on the field. Last night, I saw the Braves defeat the Washington Nationals to increase their winning run to 12. But really what I witnessed was my first (almost) baseball fight. It was everything I hope it would be.

In a perfectly logical move, for those of you who missed it, Julio Tehran drilled Bryce Harper with a pitch on his second at bat. There was a guy on second. The Braves wanted to extend their winning ways. And Harper already had one home run to deep center, in what was rumored to be the longest home run in Nationals history, in the bottom of the third, breaking a scoreless tie. The Braves certainly did not need a repeat of Harper's earlier home run, in which I guess Tehran felt Harper enjoyed a bit of a Kodak moment proceeding. So, again, this move was entirely calculated. And, again, there was an 11-game win streak to preserve. I was personally present to ensure that continued; Tehran being my assistant. The non-physical fight totally ignited me. And apparently the social media world too.

This was my favorite tweet of the evening:
And I could not help but laugh at this 'next day' statistic: 
To really ice the cake, as a Braves fan, it was nice to watch Harper register the last out of the night to pitcher Craig Kimbrel. 12 and counting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment