Friday, August 30, 2013

Bachelorette Weekend Success Steps

I have scheduled myself in such a way that when I thought about the 600 miles between me and a girls beach weekend (i.e., fun), the solitary time in the car did not seem so bad. In fact, in an oddly bizarre way, it was longed for. Now, of course, when I use the phrase 'solitary time', we all know that meant about 14% solitary time as the rest of the miles were passed jabbering away with one companion or another. My unfortunate commuting situation has engendered quite a bit of recent anxiety behind the wheel, but this road trip would require keeping myself in check, so as not to ruin the official bachelorette weekend of H.C.O. With my 'to call' list, a book on tape, and my favorite weekly podcasts loaded on my iPod... I set sail for the forever clogged I-95... at 4:00 pm on a Friday.

And now for some advice on why the Jersey Shore qualifies as the best bachelorette weekend destination to date. (How was that for the worst transition?) 
  1. Pick a bachelorette weekend destination that can be traveled by car. Now, I realize, this will not work for every bridal party. For this party, it did. The beach destination is so prime I'd go as far as to say in the event one needs to fly, the price of the plane tickets will be well worth it. When you don't fly, the overall cost of the weekend is tremendously minimized, allowing each individual breathing room when it comes to spending... and enhancing the potential for fun.
  2. Settle on a new location spot. So, again, while I realize this could be difficult to achieve for certain parties,  there must be 'new locations' appealing to the majority. Since I had never done the Jersey Shore thing, this particular new destination was an added plus. If you've done this beach, pick one you haven't done. I imagine the results will be quite the same. Making memories in untrodden territory with new and old friends 'ices the cake' of any weekend. 
  3. Search for a place with a good vibe. You can't always get culture when traveling stateside. In Seaside Heights, NJ we were offered just the right amount of character and attitude for the ridiculousness demanded by all things bachelorette. I'm not into the tiaras... and sashes... and penis this and that. I frankly find it all repulsive. But so goes the bachelorette class. I won't go as far as to say we fit in. Nevertheless, we were certainly in an environment where we didn't stand out. And that puts all at ease. 
  4. Pick a place with a view to be admired. Lets face it: NO one feels great after the first night one out. So when your Saturday demands beach bumming, everyone can handle that. 
  5. Choose a place where you can eat or not eat as each individual pleases. For us, this meant a boardwalk... with variety of food--albeit fried,... right beyond the beach... so there wasn’t a need to appease multiple appetites for breakfast then lunch simultaneously. There was feasting and fasting alike.
  6. Find somewhere all budgets can agree upon. This is huge. Well, I guess, all my points are H-U-G-E... but this one in particular appeals to ladies in multiple weddings a year no where close to home on an entry level salary. In case you need a refresher course on what it's like to be in an entry level position, they don't pay well. They probably pay about what the position deserves... it's just seems leaps and bounds from the houses and lives our parents afford. Anyway, regardless of where you end up, you'll need lodging. And I find running water is preferable. So a cheap hotel or motel, or stuffed into a host's apartment, is usually where you'll end up... and also not likely the classiest joint. But when you're at the beach... who cares?! The room was merely a place for sleeping. (And showering!) Making the dumpy, tight quarters tolerable. 
There you have it. The many great qualities about last weekends bachelorette weekend destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment