Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

At 6:57 am I awoke to the tapping of rain on the tin awning outside my bedroom window. On the exercise agenda for today: a seven mile walk with Latte Woman. Normal people, like myself, could have easily been persuaded to revert to 'Plan B,' the couch. We build shelters to avoid weather like this--cold and getting colder, gloomy and getting gloomier, wet and getting wetter. However, Latte Woman was gleaming when I arrived at her home, "What a beautiful day!" she exclaimed. She is a nutcase! I am in for it. The rain never ceased--it fell steadily throughout the jaunt, at points tormenting me by the increased volume released from the heavens. For nearly two hours we paced up and down the muddy hills, her praising the peacefulness while I wallowed in my misery.

I had the option to call the walk short at the halfway point... but knew Latte Woman would be disappointed. My competitive spirit was actually pulling for the other team--I wanted her optimism to destroy my pessimistic mindset. Or I am just an amazing friend?

Defeat was setting in at the six mile mark when a passing car slowed to politely asked us if we were crazy alright. At this point even Latte Woman admitted her chill factor was nearing unbearable. The temperature had dropped at least 10 degrees during the walk, making the 10 pounds we had accumulated in water weight more noticeable. Like any modern day, blogger girl would do, I had Latte Woman--the iPhone bearer--snap a few photos for posterity and a visual aid for retelling the story four years from now when the next leap year rolls around.
Home at last, I stripped in the garage--frozen (and soaked) to the bone, and quickly made my way to the shower. The vision I had of a wonderfully warm, cleansing rainfall did not meet expectations. My thighs began to emit this burning sensation; my fingers were completely numb. I cut the water off, dressed in four layers... and found the closest two blankets. I camped out on the over-sized brown leather chair with a book, coffee and a heaping bowl of oatmeal.

It was then I saw Mama H sick on the couch, which immediately meant one horrible thing: I was going to have to trudge back out in the downpour with Sir Louis, otherwise life with this energetic pup would be miserable.

The rain continued to dance outside the confines of our not-so-warm home all day. Earth to ill Mom: You might quite literally be under the weather as a result of your refusal to use heat when the thermometer reads below 40. I evaded exercising the dog until late afternoon when the rains let up. On this venture, I dressed for success and together we headed out... and not five minutes into our stroll we were being dumped on again. I was not happy about it. My (second) walking partner was thrilled--Louis happily putzed through the flowing river, that had become our neighborhood, as I grumpily slouched my booted feet alongside.

Having endured the weather outdoors for an eighth of the day, I never overcame my annoyance with the disruptive nature of this front on this particular day. Seems I am still searching for a remote where I can assert my power by flipping the channel to the crystal blue skies at my convenience. Of course rain is good, just not when I have outdoor plans.

1 comment: