Monday, June 16, 2014

The AT Hiker Pit Stops in DC

In search of adventure, I used to find pleasure in traveling each weekend. Then I got older and even more boring. And if this weekend is what aging is all about, I’m in. We began the weekend at Truckeroo with a few friends. I opted for ToKorean. And the longest line ever. The tacos – one beef, one pork, one tofu – were worth the wait. But not so great that I would wait again, despite being named Best Food Truck in Washington, D.C. over and over and most recently in the July 2014 issue of the Washingtonian. The event was both over- and underwhelming for a Friday evening. Tables were hard to come by. Rain was looming. And it was real loud. Plus, from where we ended up sitting, I could not hear the music. Suffice it to say, I feel no need to revisit Truckeroo, however, I’m glad I have been there, done that. Afterwards, I invited friends to our place for drinks and desserts. For this anxiety-prone host, it was real spontaneous of me, especially considering I was unable to vet the cleanliness of the apartment after the blurred work week.
I slept in Saturday morning. I prepped apricots for drying and myself for the day. Then Boyfriend and I walked over to Columbia Pike for the Blue’s Festival. The weather, although windy, was perfect. We listened to music for a while before making our way to Taqueria Poblano for some delicious Mexican Sangria on their patio. When the Uruguay/Costa Rica World Cup game began, we migrated inside to watch. We picked up some linner at Pedro & Vinny’s and headed back to the Blue’s Festival for the evening. And then my night was over…
Except it wasn’t. I napped on the floor for two hours at a friends' place and upon arriving home was unable to fall asleep until well past 3:00 am. I therefore slept in again on Sunday. And then the day vanished before my eyes! We met friends for an oh so delicious Ethiopian lunch. This was hands down the best Ethiopian food I have had… and the cheapest too! We coffeed at Blind Dog CafĂ©. I staked myself in our kitchen baking a Blackberry-Nectarine Crumble and a staple--Martha Stewart's Spinach Tart. We ate neither, opting instead for milkshakes from Ray’s: To The Third. I have no complaints.
I squeezed in a Father’s Day call at the end of the day. And an episode of Orange is the New Black before bed. This morning I made myself a pancake breakfast and all seemed well in the world. There is quite a line-up for the week, starting with the first United States Men's National Team World Cup game tonight (again Ghana). Go Team USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment