Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Strawberry Fields Forever + Boston

Meet my new strawberry plant. The one that is going to be awesome. And grow me millions of luscious strawberries. But let me backtrack for a second and say that, at this point, it's not even about the strawberries; it's about winning a competition with my, at times, pessimistic Boyfriend. The one who thinks balconies are no place for growing strawberries. Well, you stayed tuned, these late summer berries are going to make the taste of victory that much sweeter. His mom, M.R.B., the gift-er of the strawberry plant, unknowingly spawned this competition.
Below is a picture of the gracious gift comprising said plant. I share this image mostly because I did not take a single picture in Boston aside from this one. But also because M.R.B. beyond thoughtful (and fun)... and that deserves to be recognized.
Not be to overly redundant of my recent post, Boyfriend moved to Washington, D.C. in late February with nothing more than a duffle bag. I guess you could say he has been living off the land since then. When he decided he needed a few more belongings, I, being the rock star girlfriend I am, suggested we pick his mom's birthday--Mother's Day weekend--to make the journey to his hometown, Boston, MA.

I have to admit the weekend did not start off as gracefully as I would have liked. I was all annoyed with Boyfriend the entire drive for reasons I am not even sure. (Yuck.) And I am sure he would love me broadcasting that all over my corner of the internet, but I need to. It holds me accountable. I would like to promise I will not be that ridiculous ever again. I will definitely hold off for at least six months. Once we got over that hurdled, we had a pretty ideal weekend.

I got to sleep in on Friday. Then have bagels. Then hang in the sunshine and learn all about opening a pool for the season(!!!). The day continued with adult beverages... outside. And for dinner, we had the most amazing Chinese food of my life. I can guarantee China does not do it that well. Boyfriend and I brought home the leftovers... and still, weeks later, we joke about wishing we had more Chinese leftovers. So you think we will be back in Boston soon? I certainly do think so.

(More fodder for the 'return to Boston' agenda: Boyfriend failed to introduce me to Crescent Ridge ice cream. It's National Geographic rated... la, la, la... best ice cream EVER. I had life changing milk from Crescent Ridge while visiting, so I doubt the ice cream will disappoint. Though lets be real, when does ice cream disappoint?!)

On Saturday, I spent the day split between two college friends. First, I headed over to Wrentham for another couple hours of catching up with C.J.R. I saw her three days before (in D.C.) and still needed three hours to sufficiently catch up. If two friends can be sufficiently caught up, I think we are. Then I headed over to the very fancy Legacy Place in Dedham to meet H.C.O. for a birthday, wedding-festivity-planning, catch up lunch.

(Aside from Chinese food and this ice cream Boyfriend and his other hometown friends speak so highly of, I need return to Boston for shopping at Legacy Place. This outdoor mall had all my favorite places--Anthropologie, Banana Republic, J.Crew, lululemon athletica, Paper Source, and Whole Foods.)

That was most of the afternoon, before I headed back to the B's house for an epic fondue dinner. It was epic for several reasons:
  1. The cheese fondue was homemade heavenly goodness. And I really do not like cheese. Especially cheese fondue. But maybe, I just do not like cheese fondue from a box?  
  2. And there was bread and broccoli and apples for dipping into the cheese. I might not be ra! ra! cheese, these three things certainly top my list of love. 
  3. Then it was main course time, in which I was able to participate in because M.R.B. had two fondue pots going--one for meat; one for veggies. 
  4. There were veggies galore for dipping, including multiple kinds of mushrooms.
  5. The B's use broth, not oil... so that seemed healthier. And definitely did not sacrifice any flavor.
  6. So much eating happened during the first two courses, that we all needed a break before chocolate. Yummy, melty chocolate. Marshmallows. Bananas. Pound Cake. Strawberries. 
I might have dozed off in a food coma on Saturday and woken up a bit heavier on Sunday. I have no regrets. It was SO worth it. SO. SO. SO.

After loading the car, we said goodbye fairly early on Sunday in an effort to beat the ever promising I-95 crowds. All that good company (and eating) made me tired... and clearly, want to return. We made it safely back to D.C., unpacked Boyfriend, and I scurried home to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment