Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fall. Friends. Football. Fun.

I traveled to Boston, MA this past weekend for a college reunion of sorts. Clemson Tiger fans travel well, and with college friends littered up and down the East Coast, football season repeatedly brings us back together.
It is good to be amongst people you share a rich history with; hopefully a history that will continue to grow throughout the extent of my life. I have been through chapters that have been far more down than up… with lots of in between. And these people have fingerprints all over my seasons. Being together with them is such a great touchstone to stop and consider how far each one of us has come in our journeys.
I am never thankful enough for these friends, nor do I realize how much I miss them, until we are together again.
As we shared stories of the college days, I was challenged by the memories told I have little recollection of--how events and relationships impact each one of us in unique ways. Times that seemed overwhelming at the time are now nothing more than stories we tell. This comes as a welcomed reminder for the darker times.
My brother quotes Robert Frost in his college essay, “In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned from life: It goes on.” And after editing his writing, that quote seemed a fairly certain way to sum up how I got from there to here.

No comments:

Post a Comment