Saturday, December 18, 2010

Stateside

I arrived home early this morning. After a delayed, already long flight I was worried I might never make it back. My dad was waiting for me when I cleared customs. I was finally able to breathe a huge sigh of relief. I hate that my Peace Corps experience had to end that way. I cannot quite comprehend it's actually over, with each passing day the reality might hit me a little more. I am tear stricken and filled with a rush of emotions.

What's next? Enjoy the holidays and allow everything else to slowly fall into place.

Most important, though is that being home feels right. The ground is covered in snow, the house is decorated, ringing with Christmas carols, and the family is gathered together. I was able to peacefully get some sleep in a napping house this afternoon--more sleep than I ever consecutively got in Ghana. I bundled up and hit the streets for a blistery run with the youngest H. I have kept food in my stomach for more than six hours and am looking forward to a full meal this evening, at no other place than the local Moe's. More quality time spent with my now permit holding younger brother(!!!). Perhaps, we'll be totally American by wrapping up this lengthy day with Christmas movie, a warm fire, and hot chocolate.

It's not how I would have written my book of life. I'm 23--completely capable of reintegrating, redefining, and (re)becoming me in time. Land of electricity, I've landed.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sammy,

    Welcome Home! I am sorry to hear that Ghana did not work out. I commend you for your positive attitude that things will fall in place. They will, in time.

    If you ever find yourself in the Boston area and need a place to stay and/or someone to show you around, our door is open.

    From our family to yours, I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    Love,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, you are the bravest person I know! And I am so honored to know you. I have only just now spent 30 minutes reading your blog in total... I am speechless. I loved watching the video you posted. Now, you in a skirt??? Lesotho, you don't know how much Sam loves you! Please be good to yourself. We remember the ultimate kindnesses you have shown our family and we love you.

    ReplyDelete