Friday, December 17, 2010

Lasting Impressions

I arrive early stateside tomorrow. While most of Ghana has been trauma inducing there have been some really positive moments I would like to share:
  • Briefly learning another African language and culture.
  • Meeting new people, both Ghanaian and American.
  • Drinking fresh coconut juice right out of the shell. Then watching machete man cut the fruit into thirds and using a scraper to eat the flesh.
  • Fried ripe plantains and homemade spicy salsa!
  • Watching my host family make soy milk from soy beans. What a process--all for a few cups of joy!
  • Early morning runs on dusty, hilly, overgrown African roads with several children in tow shouting "obruni, obruni" (white person).
  • Hours swinging under the shade tree.
  • Teaching my host sister and friends how to play Yahtzee and Uno, followed by a countless number of games.
  • Making country flags from Play-doh.

  • A conversation with my host sister about the genetics behind her sickle cell anemia.
  • Experiencing the hussle and bussle of market day in West Africa. Thousands of vendors selling trinkets and treasures--cloth, beads, wicker baskets.
  • A terrific thunderstorm to entertain me on a sleepless night.
  • Receiving two letters from the states.
Ghana, thank you for opening your arms and embracing me with lots of love in a time when I needed it most. It wasn't right for me at this point in my life, but with time I know I will crave the simplicity of your lifestyle. Your country is beautiful, your people friendly, and the atmosphere of Western African culture is indescribable--I will encourage everyone to experience in their lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment