Friday, April 9, 2010

Welcome Home

It was finally time to go back to Thaba Tseka! I was so excited to head back home I hardly slept a wink Tuesday night. The instant I got on the bus I experienced a sudden change of emotions. I felt overwhelmed, scared, and incapable. I wanted to cry. The abrupt change of emotions was unexplainable. After six and a half hours of too much time to think and gorgeous scenery it was time to get off that bus. A short walk from the bus stop I was greeted by J.W.M., a pleasant surprise. He helped me carry my bag, thank goodness because I am not sure how else I was going to get it home. As I mentioned in the previous post (the added bonus) he was here to witness my first glance at Ma-ta-ta.

First the loss of a volunteer, second the library project is cancelled, and third the dog beating. Day after day, challenge after challenge. I calmed Ma-ta-ta and Spads down enough to let me in the door, which to my surprise was unlocked. Fishy? It looked a little different than I remembered. My table, ALL my water buckets, my washing basin, my American knives, my spoons, my plate, my cup, and my Tupperware were all missing. My family had quite obviously inhabited my house while I was away. They even slept in my bed! My electricity, gas, and paraffin were all used.

I felt let down. I have such an incredible relationship with my family. The school pays rent for me to live here. My house is my ONLY personal space. The fact that they came in and made themselves at home was disappointing. I wanted to sit down and journal/blog right then and there, but I have learned so much about myself. I knew I would say things I would regret. Instead Spads and I went out for a long run. My head needed clearing. I came back and talked to my host mother about unrelated issues. I unpacked, cleaned up, and prepared for school. Tomorrow is always a new day!

Thursday I went to school where I was greeted by 200 exams to mark and 200 students who were overly excited to have me back. Afterwards I walked over to closest boy volunteers house to borrow his phone. I called Peace Corps to inform them what happened. My Assistant Peace Corps Director (APCD) was disappointed. In his words, I have one of the best host families, if not the best in the country and if we can’t trust them than none of the families can be trusted.

I called not to get my family in trouble. My site visit is next week and I did not want to wait for PC staff to handle my problems for me. I am more than capable. The call was made for advice on how to approach the situation. I absolutely LOVE my family, and I would hate to damage our relationship. It was important for me to convey I am not upset, but in the future I feel uncomfortable having people use my house while I am away. I was not worried about my stuff AT ALL. Materials are replaceable; friendships are not quite so replaceable. And in case you are wondering after only two days, my things have slowly been finding their way back to my house. Sometimes you give someone an inch (the spare keys) and they go a mile (living in my hut). It makes sense. They had relatives in town for the Easter holiday and I had a spare bed, utensils, and buckets. We all make mistakes. As long as we learn from our mistakes no harm is done. Surprises keep life interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment