Monday, July 20, 2009

"the toughest job you will ever love"

Today, July 20th, I officially accepted my Peace Corp assignment in Lesotho teaching secondary math.  Yippee!  I also got my passport pictures taken and learned I have to write an aspiration statement and an official PC resume.  I also complied a list of things that need to happen before November along with things I need to purchase.

This all made me realize how precious my last few months in the USA are.  I want to spend time with my brothers, comfort my parents and make them confident in my decision, visit relatives, and enjoy conversations with friends on the phone who are living 8 hours away (but soon will be much farther).  I want to stop working so much and really spend time reflecting and relaxing.  Gandhi was once quoted saying, "there is more to life than increasing its speed."  This is so true!  I am really trying to work on slowing down and taking time for others.  It is in the chaos of life I seem to miss the most important things.  I am super excited and ready for Africa, but I want to enjoy the time I have here before I leave.   

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck Sam. I am really glad that you stand so firm in what you have to do. Enjoy each and every moment that you have with your family.You will know more what family means when you are away from them particularly in a foreign land that is full of challenges. Gandhi was indeed right. We all are losing life in the run of makign it better with materialistic comforts. Life is much more than that. But this is what I always tell Katrine and now tell it to you that those who have got truth and courage in themselves will always win. Good luck again Sam.

    Nihar

    ReplyDelete