Saturday, April 12, 2014

A Cherry Blossom Morning

There might be a theme in the previous and future posts. I am embracing Spring because it’s been a long, cold Winter. To not do so, oh what a shame!

So what could be better than walking to work? A walk to work while the sun is rising, with an in-route detour to see the Cherry Blossoms at peak bloom on a crisp Friday morning. There was also a pause along the National Mall for a park-bench breakfast consisting of Farmer’s Market honeydew and cashews.
Despite my time in Washington, D.C., I can site very little of the history of these trees. I do know they bloom once a year for a very short window (i.e., two to three days) usually in early April. I think they were a gift from Japan, planted 50 some years ago. My last two statistics might be off. To me, this doesn’t really matter. These trees are spectacular and regardless of all the camera-crazy tourists they bring to my city, I marvel and delight in the splash of color on gentle petals each year. This year I employed a weekday, early morning tactic to catch the trees in their blooming glory. This might become a new tradition. The verdict is out as to whether the sappy couples posing for cheesy engagement pictures at the not-so-appropriate sunrise hour is better or worse than hoards upon hoards of regular, touristy blossom onlookers.
The fact of the matter: I have to share the Cherry Blossoms. And I need to make the most of it. I certainly managed to do so this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment