Sunday, April 14, 2013

Tomahawk Chop

I made it my goal when the 2013 MLB season opened to read an article about the Atlanta Braves from any news source every game day. The overall goal is to be in touch with the Braves throughout the season. This is going to be a good year for my Bravos. The season started and life happened… and not two days in, I was already behind. And I continue(d) to lag behind. Further and further behind. Then Boyfriend found a stellar free ticket deal via Liking American Pest on Facebook. (Yeah, I do not get it either.) And Sunday, we were off to Nationals Park; the Braves were in town for their last game in the first of six series against the Washington Nationals. The Braves whipped up on Gio Gonzales and the Nationals. Their bats were hot. But who were they? I could not tell you. Where was Brian McCann? Who is Evan Gattis? Where was Freddie Freemon? Chris Johnson plays first? Does this happen often? I thought he dueled for the hot corner in the absence of retired Chipper Jones. Andrelton Simmons at shortstop? I vaguely remember him from last year. (He played last year, right?) I carry the hefty burden of being the Braves’ one loyal fan. And here I was feeling a fool.

Since Tim Hudson ousted Stephen Strasburg (hooray!) in a pitchers’ duel Saturday, my primary focus was the Upton brothers, who I was acutely aware the Braves had picked up in the off season. They did not disappoint – B.J. had a single and two doubles while Justin homered for the seventh time this season. Among many wonderful pieces of Sunday, the Braves truly ignited my excitement. I have now studied the roster in full and nearly caught up on my game day article challenge. To the Braves. To winning. To another postseason appearance. (Preferably one that does not end in the National League Wild Card single-game elimination game (i.e., 2012) and is not determined by the St. Louis Cardinals (i.e., 2011, 2012)). (I really know how to kill a high note.)

No comments:

Post a Comment